Our project began with an investigation into the physical form of Crossroads -- both within the community and its surroundings -- including a guided tour through the neighbourhoods and a desktop analysis.
We found that Crossroads had many aspects that make it a world-class community:
- the community is well connected, with direct access to multiple main roads (Deerfoot, Memorial) and pathway systems
- there is abundant park and open space throughout the community - most of which is currently unused
- the communities of Vista and Mayland Heights are surrounded by a sea of industrial buildings with huge potential for redevelopment into better uses
- there are three LRT stations close by (Max Bell, Franklin, and Marlborough)
- there are currently multiple craft breweries nearby, as well as many opportunities for new restaurants and social spaces
Although the individual parts for a great community were there, we knew something else was missing. Like we’ve been handed the ingredients to a recipe, with no idea how to actually make it.